Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Ch 21: We Happy Trans Becca's 7 Questions - Let's change the world




   Hello fello trans, family, friends and followers,

   Today I will start by letting you all know that I was laid off from my job yesterday.  I won't talk much about it as I don't want to write anything that would get me in to trouble other than it happened.  I work as an accountant and have a close friend who grew up on a farm and currently works as an engineer.  After losing my job yesterday I started thinking about the whole social structure about society as a whole and how the world operates.  I reached out and talked to friends and others for support.  I'll be honest I went to an online crisis worker to talk out my issues and calm myself down backing away from the edge of the proverbial cliff.

   And I decided today would be a good day to do my 7 Questions:

We Happy Trans - 7 Questions Rebecca A

1) What’s your name? Chosen or otherwise. Now, beyond your name, I personally don’t really care how you identify. I’m not entirely comfortable with defining myself in the terms we’re given, and I kind of enjoying watching my mind struggle to gender someone. It’s an automatic habit, and not one I care to assist. However, if it’s important to you to be know as a trans man or woman, cross-dresser, queer, androgynous, non-binary, or whatever, or if you want people to use certain pronouns when referring to you in comments or discussion, go ahead and lay those on us. Whatever you’re comfortable with.

My name is Rebecca, and I am female heart and soul ;).

2) Who has been most supportive of your transition? If you haven’t started transition, who’s been most supportive of your gender expression, questioning or explorations?

My wife and my mother have been most supportive and been available to talk to and lend an ear when times get tough.  

3) What do most enjoy about your life since beginning transition? That is, what are some of the things you love doing now, that you couldn’t do before? And if you’re not there yet, what about the possibility of transition excites you the most? What do you look forward to?

I look forward to and am happy with beginning to express and be myself.  I was in pain, tired of hiding and am really glad at the positive mood boost I have had since starting hormones and beginning to tell and express my true self to others I know and some I don't know.

4) Who are your trans role models? or Who have you looked up to in the trans community? Who inspires you? Whether it’s someone you know, or someone you’ve admired from afar, this is your chance to give a shout out.

My friend Jen is a big help, she is also MtF and honestly I don't know what I would do if I hadn't met her, she's a great guidance, mentor and helps a lot with preparing me for changes to come.  I am also a big fan of all of the heads of the social movements, look up to Jen Richards and others like her.

5) What change(s) would you most like to see in the world? This can be trans related, or not, but we’d love to know where your passion lies.

Ok, now this is probably the area I have the longest response for, I want to start by defining some terms:

"Crowdsourcing is, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the practice of obtaining needed services, ideas, or content by soliciting contributions from a large group of people, and especially from an online community, rather than from traditional employees or suppliers.[1] Often used to subdivide tedious work or to fund-raise startup companies and charities, this process can occur both online and offline.[2] It combines the efforts of crowds of self-identified volunteers or part-time workers, where each one on their own initiative adds a small portion that combines into a greater result. Crowdsourcing is different from an ordinary outsourcing since it is a task or problem that is outsourced to an undefined public rather than to a specific, named group," (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing).

"The Venus Project is an organization that proposes a feasible plan of action for social change, one that works towards a peaceful and sustainable global civilization. It outlines an alternative to strive toward where human rights are no longer paper proclamations but a way of life," (http://www.thevenusproject.com/).
You can also watch their video which is really interesting on the website too.

"The Hutterites are a communal people, living on hundreds of scattered bruderhöfe or colonies throughout the prairies of northwestern North America. On average, fifteen families live and work on the typical Hutterite colony, where they farm, raise livestock and produce manufactured goods for sustenance," (http://www.hutterites.org/).


Now Trans related, looking at these examples, we see thriving societies within themselves, we talk a lot about the social and economic problems faced by trans individuals but little about how to improve the position and/ or eliminate them completely.  My suggestion and belief is that as a community we can come together and help each other create our own living space, our own living community, and eventually become self-sustaining.  In pooling our resources and knowledge, along with the fact that trans are generally considered to have above average intelligence why do we continue to let others determine our future? Why do we run in the rat race? Why not change the rules and start working towards making our own safe haven, our own community and bringing together people from all walks of life to share their skills and benefit us all.



6) What are you doing to make those changes happen? That’s right all, no getting off the hook! We’re all in this big ol’ mess together, and we each need to do our part. Share with us how you’re the change you want to see.

 What am I doing? I am proposing an idea, blogging and trying to pull together all of the research and information I find to have one central source of information on transgender issues and what steps to take in the process.  I am hoping I can change the world and the way we look at things and begin the discussion and hopefully one day I may be seen as a revolutionary for coming up with an idea that has practiced examples that we can use as a foundation for our own community.

And finally, magical number 7, tell us something, anything, special and unique about you, your interests, your story. Never forget, gender is just one part of the larger project of becoming a fully authentic human being.

Something interesting, hmmm... I'm a gamer, currently play League of Legends and GW2.  I work in the accounting field, which is kind of a terribly boring and 'stiff' job for someone with our creativity, but I love the work I do.  And as you've read above I really hope I can be a drop in the pond that does start some change in the world.

Once Again I ask for help, response and ideas on how to make my dream of a trans community a reality, please reach out, offer your support and ideas anyway you can, and let me know if your interested.  As the only real thing a community project needs is people to create the community.  I have faith in the kindness and love of our society, and believe if we work together we can make our own destiny.

to be continued...

No comments: